Les Residences Soleil

Seniors’ residences

Contact us toll-free

1 800 363-0663

>Environments > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is the minimum age for moving into a Résidences Soleil residence?

There is no minimum age for living at Résidences Soleil. Generally speaking, our residences are specially designed for persons aged 65 and over, but there are exceptions to every rule, and we have residents who are pre-retired as well as “young” 100-year olds.

What meal plans do you offer?

There are numerous options. You can choose from a plan that only includes breakfast, lunch or dinner, or one that comprises a combination of two or three meals daily. You can also pay for meals on an as-you-go basis, or purchase a set number of them ahead of time.

Our residents have access to a very large dining room 24 hours a day, and can take up to an hour and a half to enjoy every meal. Routines can thus easily be accommodated, and residents can have family members or loved ones over as they wish. At Résidences Soleil, your guests are always welcome, even at mealtime. This means you can spend time with your loved ones, friends and even grandchildren at any time, at a very affordable cost.
Moreover, while people do tend to adopt certain habits with regard to meals, there is no assigned seating in the dining room.

If I’m sick, can I ask that meals be brought to my apartment?

Of course. Our staff is there to help you feel better, especially on those days when you are ill. Contingent on approval from our Director of care and depending on your condition, we may even be able to do so free of charge. In either case, you need only let us know and make a choice from our menu. This option is extended in all Résidences Soleil residences.

If I’m indisposed or use a walker or cane, will someone help me bring my meal tray to a table?

Absolutely. Our food services staff is in the dining room for meals, and will be happy to bring your tray to the table at which you wish to sit.

How can I take a tour of a Résidences Soleil residence?

All of our residences are easy to get to by mass transit. This being said, if you have no means of transportation, simply schedule an appointment and we will be happy to pick you up (any day of the week).


Accommodations counsellors are on site between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., 365 days a year, weekdays, weekends and on statutory holidays. It is also possible to schedule an appointment outside of our regular visiting hours.

With or without an appointment?

Anyone who wishes to visit a Résidences Soleil residence can do so, with or without an appointment. Scheduling an appointment, however, ensures that one of our accommodations counsellors will be expecting you and that you will not have to wait if all of our counsellors are busy with other visitors.

What is the accommodations counsellor’s role?

Our accommodations counsellors are advisors, not salespeople. Their role consists of providing information on the various services available at the residence as well as information on our current programs. Their job is to advise you, with the specific goal of helping you choose the option that best meets your needs.

Who can stay at a Résidences Soleil residence for a short-term stay, convalescent care or vacation?

Everyone, regardless of age. Children are even welcome to come for a trial stay with their parents.

The price of this service starts at $50 a day, including three meals and access to all of the amenities offered by the residence. Simply contact us to make a reservation.

Do we need to pay for the activities and amenities offered by the residence?

Swimming pool, sauna, spa, library, various games, golf simulation room, indoor mini-putt, bowling lanes, etc. are just some of our amenities.

Résidences Soleil has created living environments where amenities are an integral part of what residents consider their home. Residents and their guests therefore enjoy free access to all amenities.

What is the residents’ committee?

The residents’ committee is a group of persons elected by the residents during a general meeting.
Each Résidences Soleil residence has a residents’ committee that represents all of the residents and helps ensure that residence life is continually improving. The committee notably cooperates with management and the recreational activities coordinator to make sure the activities offered change over time and are designed to please the residents.

Are there any specific times for outings?

There are no restrictions regarding outings; residents are free to come and go as they please. Residents can also walk around the site as they wish, 24 hours a day. They can also have guests over at any time of the day or night, contingent on being respectful of their neighbours. The only condition: residents must notify the reception desk when they leave and when they return. This requirement was introduced to make residents and their family members feel safe.

What security measures are there in your residences?

  • Receptionist, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Security cameras.
  • Intercom and emergency call systems in all apartments and every bathroom.
  • Presence control system for residents to identify themselves every morning (in every apartment in our new residences, i.e. Laval and Sainte-Julie).
  • Access to garage and residence doors monitored by reception desk personnel 24 hours a day.
  • Smoke detectors.
  • Heat detectors.
  • Fire alarm system.
  • Care personnel on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What role do receptionists play?

The reception desk is manned at all times, including at night. Personnel is responsible for answering residents’ questions and providing information, via the interphone system or by telephone, as well as for monitoring their safety.

Are residents allowed to have pets?

No, animals are not allowed in Résidences Soleil residences.

What is the tax credit for home support?

Financial assistance, in the form of a refundable tax credit, is granted to persons aged 70 years or more (even those who do not pay income taxes) to help them pay expenses associated with home support.

This tax credit was established to help seniors continue to live in their home for a longer period of time and thereby prevent or delay their need to be transferred into a social services network establishment.

The credit is equal to 30% of eligible expenses paid for home support services.

For more information, go to:

* Please note: The program was enhanced effective January 1, 2013.

Who may be eligible?

To be eligible for the tax credit for home support, you must:

  • be aged 70 years or over;
  • live in Québec on December 31 of the year in question.

If you turn 70 during the course of a year, only the expenses incurred for services received after your 70th birthday will be eligible for the credit.

How does one obtain this credit?

The tax credit can be requested when you file your income tax report, or you can ask to receive it in the form of advance payments.

For information on how to request the tax credit when preparing your income tax return, see the document Guide to the Income Tax Return (TP-1.G); you will notably need to fill out Schedule J. You can also obtain more information by going to: http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/credits/maintien_domicile/default.aspx/


What is Old Age Security?

Old Age Security (OAS) is a monthly pension received by the majority of Canadians who meet specific criteria regarding residency and legal status, once they turn 65. A request must be submitted to obtain this benefit.

The Old Age Security pension can be compared to a pie comprising 40 wedges. A person entitled to a “full pension” would receive all of the 40 wedges every month. Conversely, a person entitled to only a “partial pension” would only get a certain number of wedges each month, but not all 40 of them. Whether or not you receive a full or partial pension is determined by the number of years during which you resided in Canada after reaching the age of 18. Below are some further details on this topic.

Full pension

You are generally entitled to a full pension if you meet the conditions in either of the following categories:

Category 1: You resided in Canada for at least 40 years after turning 18.

Category 2: You turned 25 on or prior to July 1, 1977, at which time you: lived in Canada; OR did not live in Canada but had done so for a certain period of time after turning 18; OR possessed a valid Canadian immigration visa; AND had lived in Canada during the 10-year period immediately prior to the approval of your application for OAS benefits.

Who may be eligible?

Three factors are considered when determining if you are entitled to receive Old Age Security benefits: your age, your legal status and the number of years during which you lived in Canada.

Persons living in Canada must:

  • be aged 65 years or over;
  • reside in Canada and be a Canadian citizen or be authorized to live in Canada at the time the application for benefits is submitted;
  • have resided in Canada for at least 10 years after turning 18.

When should I submit my application?

You should send in your pension application at least six months before turning 65. You can also do so when you receive an Old Age Security application form from Service Canada. You should generally submit your own application. If someone else will be sending in an application form on your behalf, they should contact Service Canada for information on how to proceed.

What do I need to do?

You can obtain the Old Age Security application form by getting in touch with Service Canada, printing it from a Web site, or picking one up at a Service Canada Centre.

Along with the form, you will be provided detailed information to help you complete your application for OAS benefits, including details regarding where to send your form once it is duly filled in and signed.

What documents will I need to submit?

Persons who were not born in Canada or did not live in Canada on an ongoing basis after their 18th birthday will need to submit proof of their legal status in Canada; such evidence could include citizenship or immigration papers. You will also need to submit a document indicating the dates on which you left and returned to Canada, and this from the time you were 18 until now. You may be asked to provide documentation confirming these dates.

These requirements are further explained in the application form kit.

For more details, go to: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security.html


What is the Shelter Allowance program?

The Shelter Allowance program offers financial assistance to low-income households that dedicate a significant portion of their budget to pay for housing.

The Shelter Allowance program takes into consideration the number of people in a household, type of household, household income and monthly housing costs. The allowance granted can be as much as $80 per month.

Who may be eligible?

The persons generally concerned by the program are:

  • persons 54 years of age or older who live alone;
  • couples where one person is 54 years of age or older;
  • households (workers, students, social assistance recipients or other low-income families) with at least one dependent child.

How does one obtain this credit?

To benefit from the Shelter Allowance program, contact Revenu Québec to obtain the Shelter Allowance program application form. (Note that this form is not available via the Internet.)

For more information, read the Shelter Allowance Program brochure (IN-165) or visit the Société d’habitation du Québec’s Web site.

You can also obtain more information by going to: http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/situation/faible_revenu/programmes_Allocation-logement.aspx


What is the Solidarity tax credit?

On July 1, 2011, the QST credit, property tax refund and credit for individuals living in northern villages were replaced by the Solidarity tax credit.

The Solidarity tax credit is calculated based on your situation, by notably adding the amounts to which you are entitled under each of the credit components, in this particular case, the QST component and the housing component.

How does one obtain this credit?

To receive this tax credit, you must be registered for direct deposit.

If you have not already registered, you can do so in several ways:

  • By using the Register for Direct Deposit online service.
  • By enclosing with your income tax return a blank cheque marked “VOID” on the front and bearing your name and social insurance number (the cheque must be drawn on an account at a financial institution with an establishment in Canada).
  • By completing a Request for Direct Deposit (form LM-3.Q-V or LM-3.M-V), and including it in your income tax return.

If you do not have a bank account, contact Revenu Québec.

Who may be eligible?

You can claim the Solidarity tax credit if, at the beginning of a month included in the period from July 1 of a given year to June 30 of the next year, you meet the following requirements:

  • you are 18 years of age or older;
  • you live in Québec;
  • you or your spouse are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a temporary resident, or a holder of a temporary resident permit within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and have been living in Canada for the prior 18 months.

For more information, go to: http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/credits/solidarite/default.aspx